Artist: Ohio Players

Track name:

Original release:

Label:

Cat number:

Year:

Drummer:

Also available on:

Example: Blame & Justice ? Nemesis (Moving Shadow, 2 on 1 Vol. 9, 1994)

Better known for it's "G-Funk genre-defining" synth lead, it also has a tiny little break on the intro. Not used too much in D'n'b mainly cause it sounds a bit weak when on 45rpm...

Clip here

• 6 months later...

I have listened to this and the You're Getting A Little Too Smart and am quite surpised at how similar the two breaks are.

Its possible that the Blame & Justice ? Nemesis track uses this one, or the other, as mentioned as such in the other thread

:wacko:

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hmm...

I have just compared this to the MP3 I have of this... the drum loop on the intro is not there?

Maybe the MP3 I have has been altered?

Yes it seems that the version of "Funky Worm" with the beat is a second generation break. Here's what phatdrumloops says:

Detroit Emeralds - You're Getting A Little To Smart

This is often mistakenly credited as the beat from the 45-SINGLE version of "Funky Worm". However, many beatheads suspect that Westbound Records just spliced this beat onto the beginning of this song from "You're Getting a Little Too Smart" by the Detroit Emeralds (from the ALBUM version (not the single) of that song, also on Westbound). (YES, it's confusing.) If you listen to the Detroit Emeralds track, you can hear that the drums stay the same and sound indentical throughout the entire track?

Doh!

http://www.tradezone.ltd.uk/smileys/eusa_doh.gif

Well at least it seems I'm not the only one to've gotten fooled by this. What a strange alteration to do - wonder what made them do that?

I guess back in the day, the record they must have backlashed for the break-loop had to've been this record, and not the Detroit Emeralds one. Still its good to know the real source for things especially nowadays.

Thanks for the heads up Me,Myself&I

http://www.tradezone.ltd.uk/smileys/eusa_clap.gif

• 2 weeks later...