Break IDs

Phokus

OK then - here's one for you - where is the breakbeat on the Prodigy's 'Firestarter' from? Always wondered and never managed to find the answer anywhere. The same break, in a slightly longer form, is also on a tune called 'Bus In (Strawberries)' on the Splice - Aspects of Dub EP on Parliament recs.

Stumbled on to the firestarter break: Link

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I always wondered what was used to make up the Ragga Twins "spliffhead" beat, well i have got my head around the breaks but it's mostly the high pitched sound that reminds me of the ghost-train ride on Hampstead heath 89!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Well that was a fuck up....

Hi, I always wondered what was used to make up the Ragga Twins "spliffhead" beat, well i have got my head around the breaks but it's mostly the high pitched sound that reminds me of the ghost-train ride on Hampstead heath 89!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Well that was a fuck up....

Yeah i wondered about this one not long ago. I think 1 of 2 breaks in there is JB's Soulpride. could be wrong though, I'm still looking out for this one! at 1:28, is that something from a late 80s freestyle/hiphop tune? or is it something raggatwin's made? but my money is still on Soulpride for the other break.

oh and, haha yeah no idea what the siren sound is from.

Yeah i wondered about this one not long ago. I think 1 of 2 breaks in there is JB's Soulpride. could be wrong though, I'm still looking out for this one! at 1:28, is that something from a late 80s freestyle/hiphop tune? or is it something raggatwin's made? but my money is still on Soulpride for the other break.

oh and, haha yeah no idea what the siren sound is from.

I'm not sure of the original source of the second break but it sounds alot like part of: D.O.C - Portrait of a masterpiece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJxuAZo0A3o

There are other better quality examples, but the guy dancing @50 seconds in is just excellent!

Tragedy the Intelligent Hoodlum - Arrest The President

http://www.rolldabeats.com/forum/index.php?/topic/38104-intelligent-hoodlum-arrest-the-president/

Ok this break has bugged me for years. I have heard it almost exclusively in this form and hammered to death too (91-92)

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWKS_rYcotE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWKS_rYcotE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

I bet that attempt at embedding the clip has failed yet again so here is a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWKS_rYcotE&feature=player_embedded

This version is from DJ Junk - breaker breaks (it's the break at the start)

Now i think its made up of poss a bit of Barry white and a bit of good ole Lyn collins. But whatever it is made up of ALOT of people used this very version and so i wonder where it originally came from, any ideas? If this break has been covered then say so and i can delete this post. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

The other i have always wanted was "perc loop" in Manix - Special Request

Best heard @58 seconds, It's not the main beat i'm after just the other percussion with reverb.

I can only ever remember it being used by SUAD once.

I think this might be a cut up

BOMB THE BASS - Dynamite Beats

judge for your self

In my opinion it's the right one.

• 4 months later...

The other i have always wanted was "perc loop" in Manix - Special Request

Best heard @58 seconds, It's not the main beat i'm after just the other percussion with reverb.

I can only ever remember it being used by SUAD once.

I know you're after the perc loop but I think the beat is this

• 4 months later...

Hello all,

This one is prob pretty obvious to you lot but im looking for what i think is a 2nd generation paris (could be wrong). its the main break used in old skool ting by breakage.

Soz for giving such a recent tune as an example but its the first one that comes to mind right now!

1st post :)

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if theres a version of the Sport break with no bassline? Loxy uses this one a lot and its at the start of roni size - 11.55. Did he get it from there? I dont have it on vinyl so I cant check.

I've got this on several different albums and the intro varies on each.

One version goes straight into the bassline (Stone Cold Funk CD album)

One version has an almost clean break at the start - the bassline is very quiet in the background for 4 beats before they turn the level up on the bass (Pulp Fusion - Fully Loaded CD)

Ultimate Breaks & Beats 19 version starts with the rap (including the 11:55 line) then also starts with the almost-clean break which they've looped a few times. I'd say the odds are that Mr Size had the ultimate breaks version in his crate.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi! Does anyone know if the Terminator X - "The Blues" main breakbeat is original or taken? If so... ID, please? :)

It starts on 0:56 in this video:

<p align="center">
<object height="385" width="640"><param
name="movie"
value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XXXXXXXXXXX?fs=1&hl=en_US"><param
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param
name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XXXXXXXXXXX?fs=1&hl=en_US"
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always"
allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="640"></object></span></strong></p>

Cheers!