adding release-ID's from other websites ?

hanswurst

now we have 2007 and the whole internet is turning into chaos more and more. i think same information content have to be referenced to each other as much as possible. so my idea is to feed the database with references of the same content of other places of the www.

from my point of view one of the most important reference is juno because there you have the possiblility to

-) buy 'content of rdb'

-) listen to soundclips of 'rdb-content'

-) view high quality sticker/cover scans of the releases

maybe there is no need to display these release-id's(links) at the moment, but would it be a disadvantage to have these id's stored?

of course sometimes there exists hundrets of weblinks of the same webcontent but there are only a few which stores a very huge amount of information(media) about jungle/dnb.

for example:

http://www.rolldabeats.com/release/piranha/pih008

juno id: 130271 --> http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/130271-01.htm

discogs id: 206947 --> http://www.discogs.com/release/206947

(it was just an idea; maybe it is complete nonsense)

what do you guys think of adding 2 database-fields to every release for juno and discogs?

maybe this could turn into a great advantage for these 3 web-sources anytime in future!?

hopefully that this english is understandable

Not a bad idea, but many websites come and go, and before long most of the links will just expire.

for juno and discogs the release-id's wont expire.

i think on juno prelistening-clips and pictures will switch to offline after 2 years.

pretty sure that this media-content is still kept in backups of juno or do you think that they delete these clips and pictures ?

-) buy 'content of rdb'

-) listen to soundclips of 'rdb-content'

-) view high quality sticker/cover scans of the releases

An interesting idea but I'm not sure that we really want to be pushing people out to other sites.

As for the points above the last two should be covered on site anyway. We aim to have scans for as many releases as possible and we are hoping, very soon, to have a system in place to be able to have soundclips for as many tunes as possible.

Pushing traffice to Juno for people to buy stuff isn't something that I think we'd want to do for free. We are looking at ways in which RDB can make a little extra cash to aid development and pushing traffic through to online shops is one way in which we could make money. Doing it for free for Juno probably wouldn't be the best idea, although I can certainly see why people would want it :smile:

Pushing traffice to Juno for people to buy stuff isn't something that I think we'd want to do for free. We are looking at ways in which RDB can make a little extra cash to aid development and pushing traffic through to online shops is one way in which we could make money. Doing it for free for Juno probably wouldn't be the best idea, although I can certainly see why people would want it :smile:

I wouldn't mind if there were links to buy going through to a number of sites, but don't like the idea of just one.

What would be good would be to have a little 'shout out box' on each release; people could post links to ebay listings or shop listings of those records. You could charge a subscription service to use the shout out box, then ebay sellers and online shops are paying for a sort of direct marketing service, and the mods/admin only have to monitor and not populate... :cool: