Ray Keith - Unknown Title ("You Got Me") Mix 2 (January 1993)

Last year I got my hands on my very first dubplate estimated as being from around 1993. It was listed on Soundbytes webstore as being a Ray Keith tune, but had no details on the plate or sleeve, other than Ray "K" 'Nu Toys!!!!'. There is a catalogue/pressing number (?) of '120924' on the plate itself.

The A-Side track was identified as 'Arron' which appeared on [GYRO 04] Destroy - Let The Bass Kick (cheers JJ from the B2VOS forum).

The B-Side sounds a lot like Ray Keith's style from around this time. Pure darkcore with loads of soaring strings, heavy amens and an awesome melody nicked from Aphex Twin's 'Polynominal-C' track. There is a vocal sample of 'Ruffige', ragga 'Boh!!!'s and female vox 'You got me just where you want' scattered through. A heavy, heavy tune! :D

https://soundcloud.com/stuz74/ray-k-nu-toys-untitled-b-side

That 'cat no.' is probably just the serial number from the manufacturers. Unless its been hand-etched in?

I had a feeling that it may have been a serial number from the pressing plant, as it was just stamped on the centre rather than hand-etched. I always thought the bass used in this track sounded quite similar to the bassline in Ray's 'Midnite (93 Dubplate Mix)'. Love hearing cheeky tunes sampling large bits of music. :D

• 3 months later...