Boymerang ? Soul Beat Runna [CLIP]

Phokus

Do you have a link for that?

Funnily enough I've come across another tune that uses this, and thats Current Affairs - The Voyage

http://www.rolldabeats.com/release/moving_shadow/msxep016/

Interestingly Dom seems to be using the entire beat in this and not retriggering as described before. I might have to see if I can have a little go with the MP3 of this, see if I can lift out the entire loop clean. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njf_BAEVTJw

Ha!

Hi James - ta for the nice words.

I'll try and help out.

You'll have to throw your mind back to a time before computers were audio-manipulators, to when everything was hand-made in a hardware sampler, and the computer was merely a MIDI sequencer.

The gear at the time consisted of:

Atari ST running Cubase

Emu E4 - 16 outs

Roland JV1080

Boss SE50

Mackie SR24:4

Sony Portable DAT

...and that was pretty much it!

Ok,

Step 1: got the original Amen Break, played at original speed, and hand-chopped it in the E4 up into *every* constituent hit, including tiny-tiny flams etc etc.

Step 2: sequenced all the fragments, moving the pieces by the tiniest of amounts, so they played identically time-wise to the original.

Step 3: Using the timing refs from step 2, replaced all

the sounds (still at old skool original tempo). Only rule was no sound could come from a break that I'd heard already used. You can probably spot at least a JV ride in there.

Step 4: Kept engineering different layers of background noise etc etc, til it sounded "new but old", at least to me.

Step 5: Resampled the whole break to DAT, then dumped it back to the E4.

Step 6: Replay back at sped up DnB speed to check for tone and vibe etc. Usually this would then involve going back to Step 3.

Step 7: CHOP CHOP CHOP - one new break to use!

Hehe, it sounds like an easy operation written like that, but honestly, it was fucking time consuming. Probably took a week or two til I was happy. I was so happy when I started hearing others using it, starting with Dilinja's Silver Blade, as I'd left a couple of free bars of just the break in the track so it could grabbed.

Hope thats of some help chuck.

G

http://subvertcentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52511&highlight=

• 2 weeks later...

So you mean its actually an amen derivative??

I guess what hes saying is that he used the timing and syncopation of the amen but replaced the hits with all new sounds, so Im not really sure it qualifies. Maybe in some abstract way? Do you categorise breaks based on the rhythm of the hits or on the sounds used?