A question about the review process for submissions and corrections

geist

I have noticed that, with some of my submissions, the correction or addition gets put in within a few days,but sometimes the addition or correction is not put in at all. What is the reasoning behind this? Am I not known enough to be considered trustworthy with my information? Is there some private forum or aim conversation amongst mods that occurs, where you guys decide on whether or not a submission or revision is correct? Whenever I've made a submission it's been done while propping the actual record in question on my desk, typing off information exactly as it's written on the record sleeve and label.

I fully understand that maintaining a mega database of dnb like this takes a lot of work, so I'm not looking for credit when I sumbit an addition or revision, but I do think it is necessary that, when an addition or revision is rejected (for whatever reason), that the person who submitted the revision is informed why. What if you guys are wrong in your reasons for rejecting a submission? What if the submitter was able to provide further proof if you didn't think a record exists, or carries the title that it does? When a rejection is just not added it's discouraging for people making submissions, and it sort of leaves us in limbo ("is it just not added yet due to backlog, or will it never be added?", etc).

I entered in a submission the other day for the "angel of theft" bootleg, and it was quickly entered into the database. However, I submitted information for a title change to UPR009 (link here) a couple of weeks ago but it was never done. I also submitted the suggestion that recent SOUL:R releases should get a series title of "DAT:MUSIC" (link here), which a subsequent submitter has also agreed with (link here), but it was never done. I also gave detailed information for the addition of RIVET 555 (link here), but it hasn't been added. I just posted pics for that one, by the way, in case you guys just thought I was making that one up or was in some other way unreliable.

So what's the deal? I know this is kind of a tense email but it's aggravating! In the past I've bumped some threads where I offered revisions that never saw the light of day, and then sometimes I would get a response on the thread, but it seems that some of my submissions either never get adopted or get partially adopted, and I was wondering what the process is under which these kinds of decisions are made.

I'm just speculating here, but I'm thinking maybe RDB might have a (conscious or unconscious) prejudice favoring the credibility of certain submitters over others. If it helps you guys to treat me as being more credible:

1) Like (I suspect) a lot of you, I'm also well past my raving days of youth, so if I get any points for being older and hence perhaps more sage and reliable with my information, so be it.

2) I have a lot of records, from years of djing and collecting. Only a tiny fraction of the collection has been entered under "my collection" in rdb (so far, only a couple of labels). If I ever submit information, it's from a record that I have in my possession and am looking at - it's not from memory.

hm.

Might not be able to give a full answer, but I'll do my best.

First thing I can get out of the way is the fact that information from 'new' people is treated any different than others. The main reason the entering of information has been faulty lately (last month) is the fact that it is only me adding all this and I have been on holiday as well as making some gruelsome deadlines at work. Usually in the evening I go through all the unread posts at the forum and try to put them all in. This however as you noticed goes wrong sometime when there is too much time in between.

So no need for conspiracy theories, I'd has just been me fucking up due to my non-website workflow (and holdidays :wink: )

If you find anything that has been missed a 'bump' will do the trick most of the time :cool:

Geist, you're reading too much into it. It's nothing personal just the simple fact that it's one person, Thijs, doing all the updates on the site.

It's very easy for things to get missed off because of this. If something that you've posted doesn't get dealt with then just bump the thread. If there is a reason why that info is not going to be added then there will be a discussion in the thread and reasons will be given, there are no aim conversations going on behind people's backs!!

We're currently lookin into a massive change in the submissions/editing process that will mean that this sort of thing happens a lot less.

ok, I guess I was being oversensitive and reading too much into it. :doh:

LOL!

Yeah, all we can say really is sorry. Things should and will change for the better, you are just gonna have to trust us and give big respect to Thijs for keeping us rolling for so long all on his own! :wub: