The Quartet - Nevada [Pivotal Entertainment]

>> ??

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ive just come across this tape. It appears to be a Metalheadz session broadcast live on Kiss Fm sometime in 1997.

It features Chemistry and Storm (their last tune) then, Grooverider & Fabio and Cleavland Watkiss on the mic.

http://mediafire.com/?21oo4he5wpi8aso

Could this be a recording from Essential Music Festival at Brighton on 24th May 1997? Kiss FM were broadcasting sets and live acts from 11pm to 7am and Kemistry & Storm, Grooverider, Fabio, and Cleveland Watkiss are all on the flyer for the Legends Of The Dark Black arena at the festival.

Oh I see, not the 'Essential Weekender' mentioned here but a different one in Brighton

I don't know much about the recording other than the poster on Subvert Central thought it was Tribal Gathering, which checks out date wise but didn't look like Fabio & Grooverider were at the event

The Helter Skelter recording of Grooverider from 7th June shares "Locust", "Circles", "Sonar" "Ashes To Ashes" & "Share The Fall" with this one so it would seem to put it down as around that time http://rolldabeats.c...20

https://phatmedia.co...stival-1997-may

http://assets.phatmedia.co.uk/public/flyers/preview/6316fd99-95f8-4cc1-8836-b733da7e6f85.jpg

I had thought this was all just one show, but seems its actually two:

Fabio - 06.06.1997

Optical - Moving 808s

- adverts -

??? ("IDM crew")

More tunes from the first hour of the show:

I've tidied my post now to be just the 13th so you can update your one to be the 6th

- START -

Primary Motive - Dreamworld [Creative Source]

Roni Size / Reprazent - Jazz [Talkin' Loud]

South - Georgia Landing (Matrix Futur-A-Scope Mix) [Poncho]

- adverts -

Unknown Artist - Fight Them (Peshay Mix) [scam]

Big Bud - Memories [Creative Source]

Optical - Moving 808s

- adverts -

Helen T feat. Earl - Earls Dream

voiceovers

- on Moving 808s "jazz step coming up in about 20 minutes time"

Oh I see, not the 'Essential Weekender' mentioned here but a different one in Brighton

I don't know much about the recording other than the poster on Subvert Central thought it was Tribal Gathering, which checks out date wise but didn't look like Fabio & Grooverider were at the event

The Helter Skelter recording of Grooverider from 7th June shares "Locust", "Circles", "Sonar" "Ashes To Ashes" & "Share The Fall" with this one so it would seem to put it down as around that time http://rolldabeats.c...20

https://phatmedia.co...stival-1997-may

http://assets.phatmedia.co.uk/public/flyers/preview/6316fd99-95f8-4cc1-8836-b733da7e6f85.jpg

Grooverider also plays some of the tunes from the Kiss FM broadcast on his Slammin Vinyl 23rd May 1997 set: Ashes To Ashes remix, Share The Fall remix, Travelogue, Shining, Circles remix

http://rolldabeats.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=64782entry140784

Grooverider - 20.06.1997

... here's some updates ...

So I've condensed these tracklistings now.

Like mentioned, it sounds like he's actually 'live' on this occasion as he makes reference to one of the adverts that airs during the intro of "Channel". On the other hand, there is a bit of a strange transition between "The Sun" and "Quadrant 6" where he indicates they're going for an ad break but no adverts actually play, in a manner I've talked about previously... It doesn't seem this is something done by uploader Dombrowski as the other ad breaks all remain in place during their recording (and, in his other recordings from what I see)

My notes from 2003 indicate I thought it was "Light Years" & "Double Vision" that had initially rounded off side A, and "Miles From Home" & "Jazz" beginning side B for this 20th June recording, though both of this had been subsequently recorded over. I definitely had "Double Vision" on tape somewhere around here... and it looks the only other place we have it otherwise is back in april. I think the MTRR001 12" came out pretty soon after this point anyway. As well, Fabio definitely plays "Miles From Home" on the 04.07.1997 and 11.07.1997, and indeed "Jazz" also on the 06.06.1997.

Also, I have reference to the end of "Trans 7" with voiceover being caught somewhere here. The only other place we have it is 18.07.1997, though I don't think it was then because I made no note of that in my 'running order of the second C60'. So I'm guessing it was originally the end of the first side A:

post-369-0-41370700-1620455156_thumb.jpg

Have we any clues on what this 'german' (actually dutch) unknown could be yet?? We know Grooverider's roots were in hardcore techno... I'm wondering if maybe he'd been booked out in Holland around then, and perhaps knocked it out with some gabba producers whilst over there ;)

Curious he plays both this, and the 'kid lays dead on the sidewalk' tune that I'd associated as hearing at the same time, on this show and the 15.08.1997... I wonder what's on the real 22nd August show.

Praise to Dombrowski though for identifying the sample, once again -

5) Dillinja - ??? ( sample's 'Susans house' - by the Eels)

Also omg that that "Tension (Spirit Remix)"... :o sounds like someone had been listening to The Mover - Nightflight when they done that

Hype - 17.04.1998

-START-

Dope Skillz - Pink Panther [True Playaz]

Shy FX - Bambaata [Ebony]

Shimon & Andy C - Live Line [Ram - Sound In Motion LP]

Absolute Zero & Subphonics - The Code [Renegade Hardware]

DJ Ron - Massive [London Some'ting]

The Ganja Kru - Move On [True Playaz]

Freestyles - Cookie [True Playaz]

Kappa - Stand Up [True Playaz]

DJ Nut Nut - The Finest [True Playaz]

-adverts-

Gang Related & Mask - Dictation Remake [Dope Dragon]

A-Sides - Wake Up (Remixed By A-Sides) [Eastside - East Side Jamz Volume One LP]

Runaways UK - Finders Kreepers (DJ Zinc Remix) [ultimate Dilemma]

Freestyles - Keepers [True Playaz]

Mask - Splurt [Dope Dragon - Wayz Of The Dragon LP]

Big Bud - Emotionography [Good Looking]

Pascal - Pressure [True Playaz]

Danny Breaks - Crime Mutations [Droppin' Science - Vaultron CD]

DJ Zinc - Bad Break (Remix) [digital release - DJ Zinc Bandcamp]

Voiceovers

On Stand Up - after this one and after that one we're going to go into the ad breaks on the other side for an hour mix

On Bad Break Remix - approximately 10 to 12 minutes left of the show

Grooverider - 20.06.1997

Also, I have reference to the end of "Trans 7" with voiceover being caught somewhere here. The only other place we have it is 18.07.1997, though I don't think it was then because I made no note of that in my 'running order of the second C60'. So I'm guessing it was originally the end of the first side A

Groan. This probably was from the 18th thinking now... look see, it's almost exactly half an hour from "Music In My Mind" to "Jaxx" on JJ's recording. I likely done something bizarre like fast forwarding next tune "Trans 7" on to the first tape, in an attempt of avoiding going over side B on the second (ie. what I had left of the 27th)

I've removed reference to that track in the post now. It wasn't played then.

(nb. otherwise mentioned here)

Not much of an update, but I did have a tiny bit of Fabio on this first tape ...

What I do know is he definitely played:

John B – Voltage Control ...

It's impossible to say precisely at this point but it's going to be either the 04.07.1997 or 11.07.1997, possibly the latter going from the gaps

Fabio - 11.07.1997

DJ Pulse featuring The Underwolves - Changing [Creative Wax - digital release]

nb. This turned up originally here, from what I can see

http://rolldabeats.c...dleaders/hllp11

LTJ Bukem - 03.09.1997

About the only thing I know about this show is he plays J.J. Johnson - Willie Chase :lol:

EDIT: To be precise,

J.J. Johnson - Willie Chase

-adverts-

Is a small segment from the 'flipping the script' section Bukem used to feature in his shows towards the end

An update for the LTJ Bukem 3rd September 1997 show

Updated

Kenny Ken - 24.09.97

DJ Rap - Hardstep (unreleased mix?) [clip]

-adverts-

Looks like this may be one of the versions coming on this

https://djrap.bandca...ropa-dubs-vol-1

Almost impossible to notate properly, but I've done:

DJ Rap - Hardstep (Unreleased 1996) (side A, track 1) [Propa Dubs Vol1, PTDUB001]

Hope this is correct, as I don't have the 12"

Fabio - 29.08.1997

?? Anoesis

Any clues on this? I see he says on it "the sound of Shatter... don't know the name of that one..."

Only that's it's by Anoesis / Howard Dodd. Fabio also calls it Shatter it on the 11th July 1997 show, but it's not Shatter on Octopus Records.

• 3 weeks later...

Grooverider - 05.12.1997

https://soundcloud.c...h-december-1997 (uploaded by The Beat Hub)

-START-

Goldie - Temper Temper (Grooverider Remix) [FFRR]

Grooverider - Cybernetic Jazz [Higher Ground - Mysteries Of Funk LP]

Solid State - Klass Of '76 [Flagship]

Matrix - Gap The Mind [Virus]

Origin Unknown - Emotion = [Ram - Sound In Motion LP]

Digital - Lower Depths [Photek Productions]

-adverts-

Ed Rush / Optical - Zardoz [Virus]

Dillinja - Fluid [Test]

Flytronix - Contemporary Accousticz Jam [Moving Shadow]

-adverts-

Solid State - He Who Lives In Fear [state Of The Art]

Tight Control - Seizure [bear Necessities]

Trace - Sonar [Prototype]

Sugizo - Metaphysical Missing (Grooverider Dub Mix) [unreleased]

Goldie - Mother (Unreleased Edit Mix) [unreleased]

Carlito - Introspective [Creative Source]

• 3 weeks later...

Fabio - 21.11.1997

The DJ Worm track (discussed here) he refers to as "Innovations by Innovations" which must have been on the voiceover following the adverts

nb. already updated as Inner-Vations - Dischord

Here's an updated tracklising, as promised :)

Fabio - 01.08.1997

??? DJ Worm - Innovations [clip from another show]

- on Serendipity "Kicked off the Jazz step... the sounds of DJ Worm - a track entittled Innovations... gotta send a shout out to the Plymouth & Torquay massive..."

Does anyone know what that DJ Worm track he's talking about is? Called "Innovations" but not seen it listed anywhere.

Something I'd like to know also. I've looked into it too and like you said doesn't seem to be anything... sounds a bit of an unlikely alias

That is his DJ name :lol:

http://www.discogs.c.../770832-DJ-Worm

He used to play hardcore and jungle at events held at the Plymouth Warehouse, Cornwall Coliseum etc. Inner-Vation was the name he used when producing with Dave Parkinson and this track was released on Phatt Phunk Records

So... you're saying DJ Worm is https://www.discogs....-Simon-Huxtable ?

Here's some detail I scraped from web archive:

https //web.archive.org/web/20010211233554/www.phattphunk.com/artists/innervation.html

"Moving to the musical and technical aspects of sound, Simon Huxtable met Dave Parkinson who owned a studio and was highly respected for his producing talents. The collaboration became a firm stepping stone to the next level. Dave knew little of Drum & Bass and Simon knew little of the studio world. Educating each other with their individual knowledge and talents they became inspired with a new sound and the direction they would follow. Dreams become reality as Inner-Vation is born.

After producing and recording in Phatt Phunk Record's LA studio, "movement two" emerges. "Sunset Bouleveard" exits the concrete jungle with exotic sounds of Amazon mists and light beats. The bass line enters rich and smooth and carries you on an ethereal journey. Side b's "futuristic force" raises the bpm and moves you beyond space with the building bass and uplifiting notes. The second 12" drops "the truth" with enveloping strings and taut vocals. The bottom of plate 2 brings "dream reality" out and into your mind-floating and lifting to the climactic wave of heavenly drum and bass Inner-Vation is becoming known for."

Kenny Ken - 26.11.1997

Dom & Optical - Rage Roll

-adverts-

Fibre Optics - Monitor

Torus - Fuse

G Squad - For Richer For Poorer [clip]

Renegade - Terrorist (P.A. Mix) [Vintage Dread 2000, DREAD LP003] << at that time, unreleased

Swoosh - Make 'Em Clap To This [clip]

voiceovers

- on Rage Roll "We're all in the studio trying to work out what this tune sounds like... and someone's shouting out "the aliens are coming - they're coming!!"" (note the comments on this)

Fabio - 28.11.1997

Subject 13 - Phuture [Vibez]

Guardians Of Dalliance - Spectrum or ?? - ?? (Guardians Of Dalliance Remix) [unreleased]

More to the end of the show:

Guardians Of Dalliance - Spectrum / ??? - ??? (Guardians Of Dalliance Remix) [unreleased] [clip]

Reflection - The Wall With Paintings (Hidden Agenda Remix)

Fellowship - Mombassa

Digital - Lower Depths

The Quartet - Wind Parade

Mainline - UR 1 (Lexis Remix)

Wax Doctor - Let It Go

Balance - Manual Filter [clip]

-adverts; END-

No ideas on the last tune, which Fabio seems to use just to fill the last final moments of the show

- on Let It Go "right as I disappear off into the mist - make of that what you will"

Kenny Ken - 03.12.1997

Subject 13 - Jam Da' Mace

Capricorn - Coming Down

Ill Figure - In The Ghetto (Project Dub)

Facs & Dylan - Recoil

D’Cruze - Importance Of Drums

-adverts-

??? dj hustler? this TURM06 ?

voiceovers -

on Recoil "'just locked in, it's 10 past 10, you got me Kenny Ken up until 11 o'clock"

on Importance Of Drums "Right gotta cut this one short, see you on the other side of the ad break, with something new from the DJ Hustler"

Kenny Ken - 26.11.1997

Dom & Optical - Rage Roll

-adverts-

Fibre Optics - Monitor

Torus - Fuse

??? [clip]

Renegade - Terrorist (P.A. Mix) [Vintage Dread 2000, DREAD LP003]

??? "make em clap" [clip]

voiceovers

- on Rage Roll "We're all in the studio trying to work out what this tune sounds like... and someone's shouting out "the aliens are coming - they're coming!!"" (note the comments on this)

??? = G Squad - For Richer For Poorer

??? "make em clap" = Swoosh - Make 'Em Clap To This

More to the end of the show:

Guardians Of Dalliance - Spectrum / ??? - ??? (Guardians Of Dalliance Remix) [unreleased] [clip]

Reflection - The Wall With Paintings (Hidden Agenda Remix)

Fellowship - Mombassa

Digital - Lower Depths

The Quartet - Wind Parade

Mainline - UR 1 (Lexis Remix)

Wax Doctor - Let It Go

??? [clip]

-adverts; END-

No ideas on the last tune, which Fabio seems to use just to fill the last final moments of the show

- on Let It Go "right as I disappear off into the mist - make of that what you will"

??? = Balance - Manual Filter

So I've condensed these tracklistings now.

Like mentioned, it sounds like he's actually 'live' on this occasion as he makes reference to one of the adverts that airs during the intro of "Channel". On the other hand, there is a bit of a strange transition between "The Sun" and "Quadrant 6" where he indicates they're going for an ad break but no adverts actually play, in a manner I've talked about previously... It doesn't seem this is something done by uploader Dombrowski as the other ad breaks all remain in place during their recording (and, in his other recordings from what I see)

My notes from 2003 indicate I thought it was "Light Years" & "Double Vision" that had initially rounded off side A, and "Miles From Home" & "Jazz" beginning side B for this 20th June recording, though both of this had been subsequently recorded over. I definitely had "Double Vision" on tape somewhere around here... and it looks the only other place we have it otherwise is back in april. I think the MTRR001 12" came out pretty soon after this point anyway. As well, Fabio definitely plays "Miles From Home" on the 04.07.1997 and 11.07.1997, and indeed "Jazz" also on the 06.06.1997.

Also, I have reference to the end of "Trans 7" with voiceover being caught somewhere here. The only other place we have it is 18.07.1997, though I don't think it was then because I made no note of that in my 'running order of the second C60'. So I'm guessing it was originally the end of the first side A:

post-369-0-41370700-1620455156_thumb.jpg

Have we any clues on what this 'german' (actually dutch) unknown could be yet?? We know Grooverider's roots were in hardcore techno... I'm wondering if maybe he'd been booked out in Holland around then, and perhaps knocked it out with some gabba producers whilst over there ;)

Curious he plays both this, and the 'kid lays dead on the sidewalk' tune that I'd associated as hearing at the same time, on this show and the 15.08.1997... I wonder what's on the real 22nd August show.

Praise to Dombrowski though for identifying the sample, once again -

Also omg that that "Tension (Spirit Remix)"... :o sounds like someone had been listening to The Mover - Nightflight when they done that

Re: Paragraph 1 - Very glad to hear that i have not tampered with any of my tape rips !! The mere thought of it makes me smile.

Re: Paragraph 4 - The 'German Track' - i've recently discovered an excellent German label called Precision breakbeat research, who were releasing some quality tracks at that time which bare some striking similarities to that tune. perhaps they could help..?

Precision Breakbeat Research Label | Releases | Discogs

Happy Hunting!!

• 1 month later...

Randall - 26.06.1996

Doc Scott - The Unofficial Ghost

Octave One - Chillin' Out

- adverts -

2.2 - No Man

Ed Rush - Density

- adverts -

Arcon 2 - The Beckoning

Mask - Freedom

Origin Unknown - Lunar Bass

Flex - Step To It [clip]

Secret Weapon - Strange Dayz

- adverts -

Adam F - Metropolis

The Sentinel - Genesis

- adverts -

Higher Sense - Out There

Goldie - Chico Death Of A Rockstar (slightly alternate mix)

Intense - Careless Minds

Capone - Friday is played after Careless Minds

Fabio - 31.05.1996

Download here http://deepinsidethe...t-may-1996.html

https://soundcloud.c...m-31st-may-1996

Aquasky - Tranquility (Big Bud Remix) (Moving Shadow)

Axis - Dusted (Good Looking)

Vivid Dreams - Rise Up (Origin Unknown Remix) (Deconstruction)

Rising Sons - Dreams Of You (Funky Technicians Remix) (Creative Wax)

Seiji - Close Encounters (Suzy Wong Mix) (Adelphoi)

JMJ & Richie - Montana (Moving Shadow)

Droppin' Science - Volume 2 (E-Z Rollers Remix) (Droppin' Science)

Deep Blue - The Helicopter Tune (Moving Shadow)

Big Bud - Ellen (OKBRON)

Underwolves - The Crossing Pt.2 (Creative Wax)

The Architex Feat. Slade - The Bridge (Basement)

Peshay - On The Nile (Metalheadz)

Carlito - Night Moves (Unreleased)

Subject 13 - Can You Feel Da Vibez (Vibez)

Two more tunes after Can You Feel Da Vibez:

Flytronix - To Ya! [Moving Shadow]

Peshay - Jazz Lick [Nexus]