Ninjaman - Test the high power

droid

Ninjaman: 'Test the high power' - Digital B, Love is not a gamble riddim.

"You shoulda die before you reach the session a dis yah Gorgon sound in yah"

As sampled by: Chris Jay - Champion Sound (Devious D Mix): http://www.rolldabeats.com/release/dubwise_productions/dw001/

• 1 month later...

Shy FX - Gangsta

From 2 minutes in - bassline sampled from the version of this tune. Im pretty certain this is the source as it sounds pretty much identical and I have dozens of version of the riddim and this is the only one that Ive ever been able to get a clean bar of bass out of.

Why do you say that? I wasn't aware he had any actual 'musical' skills.

I wouldve thought throwing a fully formed reggae bassline in would suit his ramshackle style perfectly?

It doesn't sound 100% identical to me -- there's a little hesitation in the Ninja bassline that isn't in the Shy one. Unless the Version of the Ninja Man tune has a slightly diff bassline, I'd be inclined to say that Shy replayed it

It doesn't sound 100% identical to me -- there's a little hesitation in the Ninja bassline that isn't in the Shy one. Unless the Version of the Ninja Man tune has a slightly diff bassline, I'd be inclined to say that Shy replayed it

If this isnt the source (and it may not be), then it comes from a different bass sample. If nothing else, you can count the number of replayed basslines in jungle on one hand wheras there's loads of sampled basslines.

I also cant recall any instance of Shy FX showing any sign of formal musicality in his early releases - hes all about samples.

Ill dig out a clip of the dub and we can compare. Its definitely some verison of love is not a gamble.

Fully agree on Shy (and most producers at this time) being all about samples. But playing a few notes on a keyboard using a simple sine wave is not difficult, even for the most musically challenged of producers. If you've got a bassline that you want to nick it doesn't take too long to work out how to play it or how to write it into Cubase note by note.

The other reason I say that it's most likely replayed is that there's a different bassline, using the same bass sound, in the intro that I reckon he probably played himself as well.

Personally, I've rarely heard of jungle producers lifting a bassline as a full sample instead of replaying it. This happened a lot more in the hardcore days but, by 94 or so, I had always thought that most relied on the trusty sine wave on their samplers to provide their basslines, even if they were based on a tune in their reggae collection.

This still counts as a sample source, so either way it's all cool!

Hmmm... I'm not sure if its the same bass sample as the intro. It sounds a bit dustier and warmer to me. Ive always found it very difficult to recreate basslines myself - mainly because quite a few of them contain chords so its not just tapping notes in one after the other.

Off the top of my head - Hype sampled the 'Get in the groove'and 'heavenless' basslines on Ganja 2: Badman. I agree that it got rarer as the years went on though.

For me, Occam's razor says sample, but I'm keeping an open mind!

I might repost this as the riddim rather than this track. I think logic is right that this isn't the source. :o

Haste, I bow down to your superior powers of deduction. I gave this a good listen last night and compared to about 30 different versions of the riddim. I think it is replayed. The bit at 3.59 gives it away.

Are we all agreed that this is the love is not a gamble bassline? Naphta didn't think so but hes a crotchety old fecker. Should I do a new post with the riddim as source?

• 3 years later...

Got another one of these. Cool hand flex - Shackout - U no Dat. Bass comes in about 37 seconds. Replayed love is not a gamble bassline.