depth charge AKA J. Saul Kane

H_M_M

I actually email that J. Saul Kane guy, sound bloke, I think I might of confused him which break I meant, obviously there's bit where some breaks where cut up and re-programmed by his good self, but I meant the thicker sounding break in the background, I might email him again, because the impression I got was, He comosed that break from scratch! but then I thought to my self, I can't hear it clean in there for others to sample.

So yeah, however he did mention kool and the gang so maybe i'm half right on something here.

Also, about 1/2 years ago, Mr Mooncat actually gave me that break, but I just WISH I had questioned him on it at the time! damnit! :( RIP

It was named 92BLUES.wav. maybe others have got it? And Luna-C seems to think the break he labled as 'Tone'. after an couple hours of googling 92 blues, tone, I got knowhere and to he honest I think these names are throwing me off the cent.

For a start, 92 wouldn't make sense if that meant the year, as we allreaady know the break is first heard in 1991.

OK I've plucked up enough corrage to send another email.

But I feel like a dick just asking for an ID straight away.

by the way, If I had linked this before anywhere on other forums:-

http://www.caravan-soundsystem.org/breakidjuly15_p.mp3

it's a faux one by me, the 2nd half of the beat where you hear 3 main kickdrums, well the 2nd was added by me on software, BUT only to get you the feel of the original. But yeah, that's how it should sound once I've got it ID'd.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

remember lunac, telling me about his 'tone' sample,

well I i haven't id'd it yet, but it was SO CLOSE! it was all there, Style, who's mc is called Tone, aka tony tone, the album 'In Tone We Trust' by style from 1990. the track Set the Mode, I really really REALLY thought this was gonna be it but in the end it wasn't! so gutted

http://www.caravan-soundsystem.org/setthemood.mp3

it was waiting for a lighter break to come in, to fill it in a bit more, and the all imported 1 Kick, as well as the 2 Kick thing. but it stays with the 2 Kick.

PS, not that imported but, from this album, is that famous 'another terrifying intro' voice.

• 1 month later...

I know i had been obsessed with this beat, but like 2 months later and nothing!!

discogs querry is well onto 30 posts with just me bumping it all the time.

I was thinking, but seeing as no big hiphop and britcore heads seem to know (but fair play for their trying) maybe it's more obscure than that. Could just be some techno record from belgium were one of the edits is a breakbeat tune. this is doing my head in!¬

remember lunac, telling me about his 'tone' sample, well I i haven't id'd it yet, but it was SO CLOSE! it was all there, Style, who's mc is called Tone, aka tony tone, the album 'In Tone We Trust' by style from 1990. the track Set the Mode, I really really REALLY thought this was gonna be it but in the end it wasn't! so gutted

http://www.caravan-soundsystem.org/setthemood.mp3

I was actually quite convinced by this, definitely the same kind of make up and a good lead to follow. Have you checked out any of their other stuff yet? I reckon this is the path to go

I was actually quite convinced by this, definitely the same kind of make up and a good lead to follow. Have you checked out any of their other stuff yet? I reckon this is the path to go

Yeah, im looking into it, a good conection between this break and Style was, the tune by Style 'assaninator' has the "another terryfying intro" sample used in the oringal Dark Stranger, which uses this break.

From the archives...

Style - The Assassinator.mp3

Tim Westwood, Capital FM Friday 17th August 1990

I must say this must be the first time I've ever heard, or seen reference to this group since I recorded this!

Do you want me to see if I can pick up the vinyl? Could be quite interested in picking this up now

PANTIONA GA[AGPKKMPGAOJGOJA

A

AQJJAJHAHGHHGHGHGHGHGHG

THIS SI AFHANFFXCRAZY, I WANNA TYPE SO MUCH SHIT NOW BUT CANT"

"!!

I check out a naughty bnlog now and again called bust the facts, was wondering what all the other mixes were and then i heard it it KILLER MIX

and just as i come down to tell you know looks like you beat me? checking your repoly out properly nowe!!13

From the archives...

I must say this must be the first time I've ever heard, or seen reference to this group since I recorded this!

Do you want me to see if I can pick up the vinyl? Could be quite interested in picking this up now

Yes please! just foudn out it's the "killer mix". I have the mp3 download as I got it from here (Not sure if I'm allowed to post this here)

http://bustthefacts.blogspot.com/ 2nd post down.

I think I must of downloaded everything from that site since beginning this damn break mission.my BT Bills are sky rocketed and I've had to pay over use fines :( :(

will upload audio in a sec and will GET THIS DOWN ON THE MAIN BREAK PAGE. I guess I can cancle the 100 threads I started begging for an ID and dishing out £20.

I had been checking out shit loads of obscure shit just to find out it's as big name as this!

all that "tone" getting me nowhere. when I think about it, the akai s950 first sample if you couldn't be arsed to remain was always going to be "TONE" but not "Tone". how missleading but also the truth! haha.

so I guess I owe you £20? as you beat me?

From the archives...

that's a great rip. When Tim was good I guess :) Is this whole set availble some where? thanks for the upload

Hey

No I didn't beat you to it, I was just checking through my archives when I spotted "Style" and I thought hey, that's that group HMM was going on about. The one I taped is the original. I don't think they are that much of a 'big' group, as mentioned, this is the first time I've heard reference to them.

I was offering to pick up the album not the 12" I don't think I would have thought to check the 12". Good job you did!