old jungle tune ID needed pre 97

Cyclone82

Ok so i got both Hold up and Informer from the music luver seller in above link (contacted them via ebay and they sold me MP3 files) how ever they have the tune i wanted listed as Informer. Is this correct? They said it was but their site has it as Hold up. Anyone familar with the tune know definitely if its Hold up or Informer? Its a bloody rare track i know that.

Yeah like i said, i got no way to play or transfer records and did not want to pay to get it shipped to OZ and then get someone to do it for me so i asked if they could sell me 320kbps MP3. Only cost 3pounds so i am happy. Thanks anyway, i would of been stuffed with out help on here. I just cant believe how much dnb/jungle there is on discogs that is only available on vinyl.

I just cant believe how much dnb/jungle there is on discogs that is only available on vinyl.

It makes perfect sense if you think about the nature of the music, who was putting it out, and when it was coming out!

That being said, 95% of jungle tunes have been ripped to mp3, and can be found through programs like Soulseek. I'm not advocating the "illegal" free download of mp3s (ahem), but it's certainly a better alternative than having some random joker on eBay minting money off someone else's music!

Well i have had a good listen to it and am a bit disapointed now because theres a hell of a lot of crackles and distortion when theres the heavier bass and it sounds shit. I heard it on my computer but did not think much of it then and now i tried it on my ipod with phones and it sounds pretty bad. The version in the mix i put on you tube above which was on a old worn cassette tape sounds better.. Dunno what to do now but i would like to get better cleaner versions. The ID info says it was encoded with Acoustica Audio converter pro 1.1 b25. would not know if thats the culprit or not.

I wil try that 'soulseek' thing you mentioned but if thats anything to do with torrents well thats no good for me. Dont have a clue about them. I have a hard enough time weeding my way through all the dodgy MP3 download sites. At least DNB share is straight up user friendly.

I'd certainly advocate downloading the mp3s from Soulseek over buying them off someone selling them for £3 a pop purely for their own personal profit. Obviously if the tunes are available for legal purchase then you should go down that route but I find it very hard to believe that the tunes mentioned here will ever come out on a digital format.

Sadly, when buying ripped mp3s from people you'll often find that they've made absolutely no effort to make them sound decent in the slightest.

"Informer" itself has a kind of distorted sounding bass...SS was notorious for this with some of his production just as Ray Keith was..."Orange" by SS is a prefect example. The crackles, pops and hiss are gonna be hard to get rid of. I use Audacity to clean up poor sounding mixes. You might want to try that program....It's free too!

• 2 weeks later...