Shades Of Rhythm - Homicide [CLIP]

Artist: Shades Of Rhythm

Title: Homicide

Label: ZTT

Cat: ZANG13TX

Year: 1990

Still a great tune... though I prefer the remix (the one that goes with the video ;) ).Classic synth that has been sampled a lot, even by people like Todd Terry!

Armageddon featuring Ray Keith - "News At Ten" [Absolute 2]

Nookie - "Give A Little Love" [Absolute 2]

Prodigy - "Out Of Space" [XL]

Sonz Of A Loop Da Loop Era - "Freedomism [Remix]" [suburban Base]

All use the synth.

CLIP HERE

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Why? If you listen to oldskool there more than enough evidence of people sampling synths. The ones that get shorter when played at a higher pitch.

Not sure where the Prodigy ID comes from (probably from an e-mail I received back in the day and transferred over from my old sample list), but most artists really sample a whole riff! Because like you already mention: people don't want to spend days searching for which synth was used and which settings! W-30? Don't think it sounds like a Roland. Most rolands sound alike as they all have the same components. Next to that, a lot of sounds have been processed as well, so if you want to reproduce the sound, you don't only need to know the synth, but also what they did with it (Homicide seems to at least have a reverse reverb over it).

I've read that Liam asked Joey Beltram what he used for the Mentasm synth (Roland Alpha Juno 2) and used that in Charly.

According to the D16.pl forum:

"Joey Beltram, the co-creator of the Mentasm did say though that he sampled the hoover from the Alpha Juno into another synth so the hoover in the Mentasm track cannot be fully recreated using an Alpha Juno on its own. He refuses to say what synth he sampled it into. Spoilsport lol."

So yes, it's perfectly normal to sample a synth.

*EDIT* just listened to Out Of Space and I think it's a sample...

There are LOADS of synth sounds in Prodigy tunes that are samples. You just have to know the original tunes they're sampled from in order to recognise them. One that springs to mind is The Heat, The Energy on the Jilted Generation album which samples Lil Louis - I Called You (Why'd u Fall)

I agree, it is almost certainly a sample from Homicide, the noise was very widely used in hardcore tunes at the time.

There are LOADS of synth sounds in Prodigy tunes that are samples. You just have to know the original tunes they're sampled from in order to recognise them. One that springs to mind is The Heat, The Energy on the Jilted Generation album which samples Lil Louis - I Called You (Why'd u Fall)

I sort of stopped with "No good"... (though I really like Girls...). But nothing from the "Experience" era sounds sampled synth-wise. More others sampling him (Gat Decor - Passion being the most famous, but I think also The House Crew - Maniac (Remix) samples Your Love).

I sort of stopped with "No good"... (though I really like Girls...). But nothing from the "Experience" era sounds sampled synth-wise. More others sampling him (Gat Decor - Passion being the most famous, but I think also The House Crew - Maniac (Remix) samples Your Love).

Now I think about it, it was more the Jilted Generation album I was thinking of to be honest. Agreed on 'Girls', and anything is better than that Pendulum-esque turd they released the other week!

Here are a couple for you though....

"Your Love" stab noise:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LavwXflG43M

Everybody In The Place bassline:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QkGg_QCD2TI

The 'other' synth on Charly (the one that comes in over the top of the mentasm riff) is from a Frank De Wulf / B Sides tune (can't remember which)

I'm sure one of the other sounds in Out of Space is from an old Belgian tune too!

• 6 years later...

"Joey Beltram, the co-creator of the Mentasm did say though that he sampled the hoover from the Alpha Juno into another synth so the hoover in the Mentasm track cannot be fully recreated using an Alpha Juno on its own. He refuses to say what synth he sampled it into. Spoilsport lol."

It was a Casio FZ1 sampler.

• 4 weeks later...