Releasing mixes on the net?

brotherjake

Hi everyone,

I'm new here....first post. Massive respect for RDB and those that love d&b. I've been hooked since it came forth from hardcore. I love d&b, love mixing it, and want to do whatever I humbly can to make sure that d&b stays around. To that end, I love exposing new people to d&b. Maybe you've seen it, someone just "gets it" and another fan emerges.

Anyway, maybe you will all think this is lame, but one of the biggest concerns I have is if labels trip over posting mixes. I don't want to make a mix and post it online, only to find out the label owner is ready to throw the gloves off becuase they hear their label's tune in a mix. I've heard that some label owners love having their tunes in mixes because, hey, it's free publicity! I've heard of label owners having mixes taken down also. They own the copyright, so that's fine too.

Does anyone have any input as to what labels are and are not mix friendly? Since RDB has a nice collection of labels and releases, what about letting people know which labels are mix-friendly? I'm talking finding out if labels are cool with djs including one or more of their songs in a non-commercial mix and posting on the net.

Is this a concern for anyone else, or is it just me?

Anyway, thanks RDB for the contributions to d&b. I greatly appreciate it.

Hey man, thanks for the comments. Really glad you like the site and use it!

I'm not really sure how we'd go about recording this kind of information for people and how to display it. It would be pretty hard to work out who's "mix friendly" and don't really want to go around asking people this sort of information. I don't really know how many people would find it that useful.

Surely most lables out there are quite happy to have their tunes in mixes if they're commercially available? I can understand unreleased/forthcoming stuff being a problem for them but they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't want people to plug their tunes for them!

Anyway, that's not the discussion point...cheers for the suggestion, keep 'em coming. I'm not sure this would be a priority for inclusion right now, there are loads of things that we've been meaning to implement for a while so I don't think something like this would be high on the list at the moment

Surely most lables out there are quite happy to have their tunes in mixes if they're commercially available?

I think most labels aren't too happy if it was in a commercially available mix without them knowing it! If you look around DOA you'll get a feeling of the rules: no mixes of songs from just a single album or label seems to be a big one! Homemade mixes are different... (though at least in Holland, Buma/Stemra want everybody that hosts music on their website to pay a fee).

In my opinion the DnB scene is a strange one... you can find about any tune, released or not, on MP3. While a lot of new club tunes are hard to find! Next to this the DnB labels seem to be more against MP3s than other forms of house...

With the above in mind, I think no label would want to be seen as "mix friendly" as people may see it as that the label doesn't have a problem with their songs being downloaded...