User comments on forthcoming release - Errors

haste

Some innacuracies relating to the forthcoming releases

I used to know what was out and what not with tarzan but now you can't know and your not sure if the latest releases are the correct ones

I found this "feature"  a bad move :grumble:

Is this a legitimate problem?

Some people have been claiming that there are "lots of errors" :roll:. While I don't believe them this has been the only reply that seems to have any fact behind it.

Obviously I cannot comment on this as I know nothing about new releases

Well, we have had things like with the recent Metalheadz releases where release info was entered from a release schedule and where the schedule has changed.

I am personally in favour of entering tunes as soon as they are out on promo, and not when there's a release schedule out. I think that's basically not what Tarzan is about. Let other sites get the scoop on what's being released when and what's out on dub. Otherwise we will definitely end up with releases that were said to be coming out, but never made it. Simply because nobody remembers that it was entered in the database and so nobody remembered to take it out again!

But we need to differentiate between errors like wrong names (for which people who moan about it could make themselves useful by sending in a correction, like the russian guy some months ago) and indeed false information, like a label of which somebody posted here that release 3 and 4 (or something like that) were actually never released because the label was discontinued. But yet these releases were in the database!

Yeah, I'm not quite sure what his point is really. If people don't like the listings here they should go elsewhere anyway, I know they won't find any as complete and up-to-date, even if you do consider the errors in our db

Oh well :roll: :? 8) :P

• 1 month later...
i dont understand what he means with 'used to know' since the 'policy' about adding release info to the database has never changed. :?
Well I used to think you got the release info from <notsweet> and I never stumbled on any forthcoming releases, just promo's

Yeah, I'm not quite sure what his point is really. If people don't like the listings here they should go elsewhere anyway, I know they won't find any as complete and up-to-date, even if you do consider the errors in our db

Oh well

My point is that you better would base yourself on confirmed data then on such schedules which change a zillion times... I, myself, find the feature of knowing what is out or not ("yeah yeah nice track in that mix, is it out yet?" is a situation I encounter a lot) far more important than volatile data. It would already be nice if you could just filter that data out actually (checkbox next to search "include forthcoming releases")

anyway big up for the work you guys put in it though, tarzan is a tool is can't miss, respect

It would already be nice if you could just filter that data out actually (checkbox next to search "include forthcoming releases")

sounds nice, but won't be easy, coz the admins would have to edit "forthcoming flag" of the releases day by day as they come out... :?

and what about the releases that reamain promo only forever? who decides whether a release is still forthcoming but delayed, or won't get a full release at all if we don't have a certain source like someone from the label? (okay, we can find out, but there are tricky cases)

anyway, if the admins plan to implement such a feature, or don't find it as difficult as i do, i support the idea :)

I think it would be unlikely that listings will be flagged as forthcoming. It's far too much work for us to keep them up to date and just adds another extra bit of work for someone to do on top of all the masses of data input that we do already!

I think it would be unlikely that listings will be flagged as forthcoming. It's far too much work for us to keep them up to date and just adds another extra bit of work for someone to do on top of all the masses of data input that we do already!

Adding data based on release schedules is imo far more work. So imo either you don't add data on basis of release schedules but only on whats out/on promo (Which I personally would prefer), or if you do at least flag it so it can be filtered out (example: you add data from a label based on itz release schedule, but the tracks don't ever come out, the label just plain stops, how will you know this and know there is uncorrect data in the DB? If you flag it you could easily check upon all the tracks with the flag forthcoming which aren't out for months yet and check what happened to them)

i see your point. and will think about it.

i still want to keep on adding release schedules, since this is highly appreciated by people trying to figure out where that track they just heard in a certain set will be released on.

however, it could be done it such a way that all release schedules indeed get flagged as 'unconfirmed' (which is already used now and then in the database as we speak). from then on the unflagging will be the part which i need to think about.

will post here again if i come up with something.