bootleg releases

haste

Please use this thread to catalogue all bootleg releases that you are aware of.

feel free to add white labels that have obviously unauthorised represses of tunes but this is more meant for 12"s that are trying to look like the original.

e.g.

DUBPLATE1

2 tracker: same tracklisting as DUBPLATE1 10" version but pressed on a 12" - IMO records bootleg

XPROJECT1

2 track release of the snowman tune - IMO records bootleg

REMARK001

bootleg release of WYHS035 - exactly the same as original

and although some people still claim that this is a legit copy i don't agree (seeing as it is obviously mastered from an old vinyl copy of the tune and not from the original metal work)

SECTION4

black label release of finest illusion - exactly the same as the original press (except for the audible pops in the intro of finest illusion)

Just bootleg represses?? Because otherwise you'll get all those bootleg remixes of rap/R&B tunes in here...

And what about old unauthorised remixes (like the Edge Of Darkness/Johnny L bootleg)?

FUCK001

A: M-Beat - Rumble (faded out just after the chord break near the end)

B1: Top Cat - Push Up Ya Lighter (not sure which version... probably original from FX-recordings...)

B2: unknown...

(just saw it wasn't in the database...)

Just bootleg represses?? Because otherwise you'll get all those bootleg remixes of rap/R&B tunes in here...

i'm specifically talking about releases that are trying to pass themselves off as an official release like the ones mentioned above. this info is intended to help people who are looking for official versions of tunes to buy so they can find out if there are any bottlegs of that tune available that they should avoid.

the jonny l one is different as that's a remix, i'm not fussed about remixes here, just original versions of tunes pressed up by someone other than the original label owner/artist without permission

Seeing that you mention IMO a few times... is this a bootleg: Jo - R-type. Label's different from original version (which doesn't state on the label it's the original...). And it states "distributed by IMO"...

But what about represses. If you're hunting for the original, you don't want to pay a lot of money and end up with a repress. And some look quite similar to the original release! I'm not talking about the "classics" releases, or even the Shadow represses (as most original first presses had picture sleeves, though represses back in the day were in MS house bags (12" and later also 10") or white paper sleeves (10") ) but for example the first set of V represses, which were also in traditional V sleeves (sometimes even matching the original colour). Or the recent Naughty Naughty represses (which I think look the same as the originals... though I don't own any).

I'm not that much interested in bootlegs personally. I think most can be spotted quite easily (especially if the cat nr in the dead wax is different). I find represses much more annoying!

hmm... you sure do have a point with those represses. it will be damn hard to distinguish those sometimes though. might be something (like a warning?) for the comment field?

(as in: i would really like to add it, just not sure how it can be done)

as far as the r-type thing goes i'd say that's not a bootleg. it was an official repress as far as i know. it was available in all the shops when it first came out and wasn't just IMO doing some dodgy copies of the tune. it would be worth distinguishing this as a repress though

as with the V ones it would be worth having comments saying that the cardboard sleeves were different (they were bigger than the original ones) and they had the newer format london telephone numbers on them.

while some people may be able to easily tell that something is a bootleg others may not be able to...i think it would be a good idea to have this info listed.

in many cases represses are quite hard to differentiate form the orignals unless it's made clear on the label. the naughty naughty ones are exactly the same as the originals as far as i know (i don't have any of them so can't be 100% on that). it would be a good idea to have these things listed, there may be more than one label scan for each release if it has been repressed with the same catalogue number. this is where the backend gets difficult though!

MAN1 :: Roni Size / Mask / Barrington Levy & Beenie Man :: Trust Me / Dictation / Square Off / Under Me Sensi [X-Project RMX]:: White Label :: ?5.73

really want dictation :mrgreen: . not buying that one though :wink: .

MAN1 :: Roni Size / Mask / Barrington Levy & Beenie Man :: Trust Me / Dictation / Square Off / Under Me Sensi [X-Project RMX] :: White Label :: ?5.73

really want dictation :mrgreen: . not buying that one though :wink: .

nah you'll wanna stay well clear of that crappy thing :D

• 1 year later...
Guest Steve J
and although some people still claim that this is a legit copy i don't agree (seeing as it is obviously mastered from an old vinyl copy of the tune and not from the original metal work)

SECTION4

black label release of finest illusion - exactly the same as the original press (except for the audible pops in the intro of finest illusion)

I don't know if anyone is that fussed much these days with this one, given that people thought it ultra rare and then about 2 years on ebay delivered stacks of both black label and labelled copies!! and saw the price plummet from over ?100 to about ?40!!!

I bought my black label (actually no label to be accurate) in August 93 from Lucky Spin. I questioned the click/noise at the time with I believe it was Greg who worked there and said have you got another copy in... he said all copies had that because the metalwork had sustained a bit of a knock since when they had pressed up the first batch and the SECTION4 cat no. had been hard-scratched out on the master. This is exactly the same procedure that the white's of Music Takes You (Seal) have which were put out 2 months later after the original SHADOW11 promo's.

Make of this what you will for my money its a unofficial 2nd press made to look like a booty at the time... Also, you will find both the SECTION4 (albeit scratched out but you can make some of it out under ultra violet light) and SIMON THE EXCHANGE etchings are in identical position and exactly the same on both the labelled copies and this - I don't believe if it was different metalwork someone would go to the effort if you ask me to make it exact???!!

Anyway, crap info over!

Steve J