valley of the shadows

Guest dj howru

What I would really like is some 44.1khz 16bit stereo rips of this break and all its associated edits. Reckon they may all have been used at some stage, and should all be entered into 'Breaks' forum. Ideally we need the original CD sources for these but guess Future Music CD could be specified as source for now...

Yeah that goes for me to.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
The bell sample is from the theme music of Q.E.D or Equinox, I forget which. Both were documentary series on BB2 and C4 respectively.

One was sampled by Goldie for Beachdrifta and the other on Valley of the Shadows

You sure about that? I thought it was just the "I was in this long dark tunnel" etc vocals which were sampled from an episode of QED...

You sure about that? I thought it was just the "I was in this long dark tunnel" etc vocals which were sampled from an episode of QED...

Yeah, pretty sure. If it's not one of these 2 shows then it's another similar programme. I shall investigate. Come to think of it, I posted this in a thread on DOA, but if I remember rightly, I got the name of the show mixed up. However, someone confirmed this and managed to get the programme right.

Just to demonstrate how leaky my memory is on such matters, I'm starting to think that Beachdrifta sampled the theme music from Horizons. I alway get these types of shows mixed up.

*edit* Maybe not. I've just read that thread back and I seem to be the only one that suggests it is. Other people said that it was taken from a Future Music CD. However, I remember being told that it sampled QED. This could've been a reference to "the long dark tunnel" bit but I was under the impression that my mate was referring to the bells. After being told this, I'm then pretty sure that I watched the programme and the theme music was the intro of VOS.

Then again, I've smoked a fuck load of weed since then, and the lines of reality and fantasy have, at times, become somewhat blurred

hehe...the bells are definitely from the Future Music CD. Until we can hear the episode of QED and the vocal samples from it then I think that we have to keep this as a rumour that's not yet been proven.

I've never quite worked out whether the QED thing is just a common myth perpetuated on the internet. Most people will gladly say that it was from that programme but I've never seen any proof. I'm sure that the info's correct but I guess it just needs confirmation?

Interview with Andy C (http://www.mpiii.com/dl_view-24465.html)

Where did you get the 'long dark tunnel' sample from?

It was from a QED documentary on the BBC about near-death experiences. It's from a woman named Barbara. She had a near-death experience while she was in labour. She found about the tune, because her daughter was listening to Kiss FM around '96, heard it, and told her mum that she was on some hardcore record. She didn't mind at all. She wrote us a really, really nice letter telling us all about her experience.

• 1 year later...

I thought they sampled the bell arpeggio from a sample CD called "Now, that's what I call sampling!" released by AMG. It was a demo sample cd showcasing various samples from AMG's whole sample cd library. http://www.amguk.co.uk/history.shtml - the CD is mentioned in there. I think the sample was on track 50-something (sorry, my memory is bad!) and was done on something like a Korg mono poly synth, according to the index listing description.

Most dance producers back in the day bought the zero-g datafiles 1-3 and polestar magnetics' x-static goldmine sample CDs from zero-g... you used to get the above mentioned free sample cd chucked in as a bonus. I'm pretty sure that the year on the back of this free cd was 1992 or earlier.

The same goes for the think break edits used in the track, they're on the original x-static goldmine sample cd (released in 1992 I think). God knows where they originally came from though?? I for one would like to know.

• 1 year later...

Just a little info:

If I remember correctly, I've got the full sample somewhere on my disk, and it ends with the reverb fading away, unlike the part vos sampled. So there is actually a dry version of the sample.

Yeah that's the one. The sample starts off with loads of reverb (that's the bit that got used in the tune) then ends up being completely dry. It would be good to hear it again.

The whole sample is definitely on the sample CD I mentioned above and it might also be on this one from 1991.