Reel 2 Reel/De Underground etc

haste

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Frankly I didn't want to set foot (or set finger?) in this thread because it's so confusing, but I have to say

Hopa & Bones - Ali Ba-Ba in fact has the cat # INT3, not INT003, meaning that it has the exact same cat # as Part III.

Also, Cool Hand Flex - Melody Madness isn't INT004, it's actually INT12004 (as I think Haste said earlier).

This means that the ONLY release that has INT00x is the very first one.

• 3 months later...
dunno about that...

from A-sides:

guy called josh.. dont know his second name, from southampton

:)

In these sort of cases when it's likely that we'll never find out their full real name why don't we list them as "Josh Raw From China" or something like that. At least that way we have a real name entry for them, or at least a partial real name. There are lots of artists that we know first names of but haven't put them in the database due to not knowing the entire name....would make sense to do this, if you ask me

http://www.rolldabeats.com/artist/raw_from_china

Can we get his location in the db?

Southampton, UK :)

Edited by haste

• 3 weeks later...

Just been talking to a guy who was involved int he labels. he sent me some info. I don' think it answers any questions, but interesting nonetheless

=========================

One of the reasons for the confusions, is as stated, that there was a collective mentality behind a lot of the stuff. I originally became involved with the label on the recommendation of a mate from St Albans (James Harvey who is now collablorating with another St Albans boy Jim-ex source direct) whose band mate in "Oaysis" ,Hopa had done stuff for the label. At that time (95) John Aymer had retired to the country and Mikey was running the business like a headmaster with flex (Pete Aymer), Randall, MC Fats and Marlon (Marly Marl) like the naughty schoolboys. AT that time the shop wasn't really doing that well due to a combination of poor location, low stock and ineffective salesmanship. The labels seemed to be doing ok though, with most of the tracks put together by Flex with various assistants. Mikey was planning to put together an album to capitalise on the D&B media interest at the time and most efforts went in that direction.

ONce the albums tracks were finalised there was a big launch party at the bluenote (where i got paralytic and spewed all over the toilets!) and the whole scene turned out to support it in a surprising display of D&B solidarity.

For various reasons MIke had been putting pressure on the guys (Failing Shop/Album pressure) and this led to a massive fall-out with Randall who withdrew all tracks with his input from the album. This bad blood also caused other DJs to ignore the project, and when the album eventually came out in 1996 (not 97), late, and without "Star names" it flopped.

Goodbye business.

In early '97 I got a call from Mike asking if I wanted to use a free studio. Daft question!, and he put me in contact with his brother John who was living in Bletchley. I spent a few days pottering around at Johns home studio with various guys including Flex (who I think was surprised to see me there) and Hyper Hyper (Gappa G had retired). John was wanting to do "Lovers Rock" Jungle and was working on varoius Reggae remix projects at the time. In an interesting aside John also claims to have had more than a little bit of the creative input behind "We R Ie". I don't think much came from these sessions though. About a year later MIke contacted me again and arranged to meet me at the music publisher Paul Rodriguez's house (Paul published all the Formation stuff amongst others). Paul had amakeshift studio set up at his house and Mike and myself spent various saturday afternoons working on yet more stuff. Mike had come up with 2 eps, one by him and one by Rikki Blue (Blue Zone) that he was gonna use to restart In Touch Records.

The Rikki Blue project went elsewhere though and I think Mike thought that old feuds and their effect on DJ support influenced Rikki's decision. MIke decided to hold another launch party to get interest but indirect contrast to the bluenote shindig no-one turned up, in fact the only named booked DJ that showed up was his brother Flex. BY this time Randall had set up Mac2 and was still working with Flex, and most of the DU crew got on with their own thing. Fats is going through a particularly successful patch at the moment working with the likes of Calibre and Potential Bad Boy.

=================

Plus it gives me an excuse to bump Thijs's fav thread :lol:

• 1 year later...

There appear to be 3 versions of JGS001

is that including Mix to the Max II?

that was listed in the backtotheoldskool thread as being JGS001 aswell :wacko:

Yeah, that's the one that we don't have either. The one we have up there is correct [ http://www.rolldabeats.com/release/reel_2_reel/jgs001 ]

but there is also the Burn Cali Weed 12" as well as the Mix to the Max II 12".

Do you know any info on the tracks for MTTM2?

Are we sure that "Burn Cali Weed" isn't just someone's made up title for the Mix To The Max II EP?

I think we are missing one...

HN001

De Underground

A: Uncle 22 - Do It Again

B: ???

Can anyone confirm whether it's HN1 or HN001 (or another variation)

Discogs has this one listed with different track names

http://www.discogs.com/release/368135

It is HN001. Note - the "Do It Again" track would be the B side one... if that is really the title of the track...

Also the rubber stamp on it states: U No Dat

U No Dat should be the label, not De Underground