Break IDs

Phokus

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

DJ Rap & Aston - Vertigo

Can anyone ID the break used on this? It's the one that's played clean (except for some added bass) just before it breaks into the 'maybe we'll find...' vocal for the second time. I'm guessing it's a live recording cos it sounds that way, and it's got some guy shouting 'hey!' over the top of it.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
DJ Rap & Aston - Vertigo

Can anyone ID the break used on this? It's the one that's played clean (except for some added bass) just before it breaks into the 'maybe we'll find...' vocal for the second time. I'm guessing it's a live recording cos it sounds that way, and it's got some guy shouting 'hey!' over the top of it.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

haven't heard that tune for a while, i enjoyed digging that out.

that's the beat from 'give the drummer some' by ultramagnetic mcs. and if anyone knows where the ultras got it from.. do tell. :wink:

haven't heard that tune for a while, i enjoyed digging that out.

that's the beat from 'give the drummer some' by ultramagnetic mcs. and if anyone knows where the ultras got it from.. do tell. :wink:

Thanks mate. Yes that does sound similar. Not 100% sure though, as the fidelity on Vertigo sounds a lot different. It sounds more 'live' if you know what I mean. Although I guess it could have been made to sound like that.

Either way I guess Vertigo didn't use Give The Drummer Some as the source as it doesn't have the 'hey' over the top of it on the Ultramagnetic track.

Thanks mate. Yes that does sound similar. Not 100% sure though, as the fidelity on Vertigo sounds a lot different. It sounds more 'live' if you know what I mean. Although I guess it could have been made to sound like that.

Either way I guess Vertigo didn't use Give The Drummer Some as the source as it doesn't have the 'hey' over the top of it on the Ultramagnetic track.

I've just listened to it on this

http://www.rolldabeats.com/release/react_records/reactlp32

Is this the same mix? There's no Give The Drummer Some in this version. Perhaps that is the Q Bass mix on that album. In any case, details on Give The Drummer Some can be found here:

http://www.rolldabeats.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=45993

with thanks to Euronimus for some of the background details :wink:

I've just listened to it on this

http://www.rolldabeats.com/release/react_records/reactlp32

Is this the same mix? There's no Give The Drummer Some in this version. Perhaps that is the Q Bass mix on that album. In any case, details on Give The Drummer Some can be found here:

http://www.rolldabeats.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=45993

with thanks to Euronimus for some of the background details :wink:

Here's the original mix:

Vertigo

It's played almost clean at 2:13. I've never heard that Q Bass mix, so I couldn't say whether it's on that. Thanks for the GTDS info, maybe they both used the same source, but just used different parts.

It is from the intro of Pete Rock & CL Smooth - The Basement, on the Mecca & The Soul Brother album. It's a slightly bumpy cut up of an old funk break (which is on DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist's product placement mix - I'll look up the name if you're interested). Also sampled on the remix of Manix - Feel Real Good, and the original mix of DJ Taktix - The Way on Fokus Recs.

can't you name this track from product placement mix? :smile:

Seeing as this thread has gotten to 8 pages, and I see a whole slew of people who post in this thread and nowhere else, how would you guys feel about "Break IDs" being made into a separate subforum, like the "Sample IDs" forum?

Seeing as this thread has gotten to 8 pages, and I see a whole slew of people who post in this thread and nowhere else, how would you guys feel about "Break IDs" being made into a separate subforum, like the "Sample IDs" forum?

That would be handy (from a noob).

I have a few breaks I'd like ID'ing...might wait to see if you implement this sub-forum first :cool:

i'm pretty sure, i had the vertigo 12 inch playing at 33. i've listened to 'give the drummer some' 1000s of time and could recognise it however messed up and modified.

i'm sure they just added the 'hey' to give a different feel, and messed with the sound quality to get it how they wanted.

• 3 weeks later...

In one of the FastTracker 2 tracks I made a long, long time ago, I used this break, totally overcompressed and downsampled.

I would like to get the source of the sample such that I can use it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

In one of the FastTracker 2 tracks I made a long, long time ago, I used this break, totally overcompressed and downsampled.

Any ideas?

Thanks

sounds a bit like the 'fuzz & the boog' break? i think i got it somwhere.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dunno the name but it's used in Bizzy B - Twisted Mentasm, would like to know the source myself.

Edit: Just had a listen to the Fuzz & The Boog beat and it's not that.

Hi Peeps,

I've been looking for a tune for an age. I used to hear it at the Rocket, on a regular, but never got the chance to buy it.

Then I heard it in Gordon Edge - Compnded, only a little chunk of it, but enough to get e hunting again, after 15 yrs..

Its the backing beat in this little snippet, any help would be appreciated.

Its the break in the background...

Thx Peeps

Hi Peeps,

I've been looking for a tune for an age. I used to hear it at the Rocket, on a regular, but never got the chance to buy it.

Then I heard it in Gordon Edge - Compnded, only a little chunk of it, but enough to get e hunting again, after 15 yrs..

Its the backing beat in this little snippet, any help would be appreciated.

Its the break in the background...

Thx Peeps

it's not really a breakbeat. just some slightly overdriven 909 drum sounds.

it's not really a breakbeat. just some slightly overdriven 909 drum sounds.
Thanks for the reply...

DJ hype used to mix the track that had that break down at Rocket, a record shop once said ti was called tekniq by tekniq (not sure of the pselling), but in all these years Ive never found it.

I remember the rim shot sound being really hypnotic.. :) great days.. :)

Hope someone knows it.. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dunno the name but it's used in Bizzy B - Twisted Mentasm, would like to know the source myself.

Edit: Just had a listen to the Fuzz & The Boog beat and it's not that.

Anyone?

• 7 months later...

hey man. doesnt that come from bonita applebum. used in roni size & dj die's - music box....

I was thinking maybe the break from Stetsasonic - Bust That Groove

"...clap your hands now, people clap your hands...".

Man that tune is old skool

Finally located via Marley Marl's "Symphony Pt. II"

The - Meters

Struttin': (Josie 1970)

* "Handclapping Song"

Possible?