Break IDs

Phokus

It is from the intro of Pete Rock & CL Smooth - The Basement, on the Mecca & The Soul Brother album. It's a slightly bumpy cut up of an old funk break (which is on DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist's product placement mix - I'll look up the name if you're interested). Also sampled on the remix of Manix - Feel Real Good, and the original mix of DJ Taktix - The Way on Fokus Recs.

thank you very much mikeeee!! yeah i've heard of that break before, wasn't sure which hiphop tune, so thanks very much! Liam howlett had alot of us-hiphop/rap records i believe!

i think the breakbeat is cut up from old funk tune, it's lurking in the famous DOA's "101" pack! does backyard or blackyard ring any bells? i will go check now!

firestarter break hmmm, dont know where it's from, maybe it's sliced up breakbeat he's done him self?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The same one as heard in Peshay - Gangsta II? I dunno....

but I half suspected it might be releated to one of these: http://www.rolldabeats.com/forum/index.php...003&hl=akai / http://www.rolldabeats.com/forum/index.php...004&hl=akai once Phokus posted them up.

Yeah - it's the same one that's cut up in Gangster II but it doesn't sound like either of those clips you mentioned to me. Here's a clip of it from the Splice tune on PMT that I mentioned...

thank you very much mikeeee!! yeah i've heard of that break before, wasn't sure which hiphop tune, so thanks very much! Liam howlett had alot of us-hiphop/rap records i believe!

i think the breakbeat is cut up from old funk tune, it's lurking in the famous DOA's "101" pack! does backyard or blackyard ring any bells? i will go check now!

Right - I've just found a tracklist for product placement and you were on the right lines, the tune you are after is the Backyard Heavies - Expo '83:

http://www.discogs.com/release/894242

The break is definitely in there but it's only a very quick 'blink and you'll miss it' affair, you'll see why it required some choppage.

• 2 weeks later...
This has probably been brought up numerous times, but I?m curious to discover the name of a famous breakbeat. The clearest example I have at my disposal is the break from the recently unearthed Sneakers by Bad Company and Trace, though it is far more prominent in older jungle and hardcore productions. It features a high-pitched ?ah-na? sounding vocal and is instantly recognizable. The origin of this break would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hello all

i just found this forum and it looks right up my street.

i have a break which i have been trying to track down for years

it is the main or only break on the following tracks

kid caprice - wax doctor

sdr and john williams - the busker

ltj bukem - horizons

omni trio remix of EBTG - walking wounded.

i have a massive colloection of original breaks and old school hip hop, and a decent amount of old school drum and bass and rave stuff, so i hope i can help out with some other enquirys in return.

cheers

shane.

It is from the intro of Pete Rock & CL Smooth - The Basement, on the Mecca & The Soul Brother album. It's a slightly bumpy cut up of an old funk break (which is on DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist's product placement mix - I'll look up the name if you're interested). Also sampled on the remix of Manix - Feel Real Good, and the original mix of DJ Taktix - The Way on Fokus Recs.

i reckon the prodigy and manix beats were both taken from juice crew law by mc shan. never managed to find the original source unfortunatley.

bump

ref- alternate, move my body (which i now notice is a 1 year old post sorry, anyway..)

this is a super rare james brown break, track is called 'can i get some help', but he seems to have done loads of versions of this song, so it's hard to track down the right one.

you will notice it at the start of sweet harmony by liquid.

i expect most people have sampled it from the start of chorus line pt 1 by the ultra magnetic mcs (love that track)

massive thanks for this.

i have to admit i was sceptical,the link didn't work so i bought it anyway.when i finally got the cd (today) i couldn't beleive it, at least 8 bars with good variations. i wonder why i've only ever heard the first bar used?

anyway, very happy now, thanks.

Ahhh

I've never heard the section they all use of the Kurtis Blow break in any hip hop tunes.

The first two bars I know been used quite a bit, one in particular is Black Sheep - Strobelite Honeys uses those first two bars.

No hip hop tune I've heard uses those 'riding cymbals' bits of it!

Ahhh

I've never heard the section they all use of the Kurtis Blow break in any hip hop tunes.

The first two bars I know been used quite a bit, one in particular is Black Sheep - Strobelite Honeys uses those first two bars.

No hip hop tune I've heard uses those 'riding cymbals' bits of it!

funny you mention black sheep, i have that album and never noticed!, but i picked up the strictly breaks black sheep collection yesterday, which pointed it out.

so after all this time i now have 2 copys of the 'do the do' break.

my point was that all the D&B tracks only use the first bar of the 'ride cymbal' piece at the end, but there is some great variations waiting to be used in the other bars.

i made a track using this break many many years ago, i could now do an interesting re-mix.

it's the only time i've used a break that i don't actually know, so i feel much better about it now!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anyone know the name of the non-amen break in Rude Bwoy Monty's Out in the Streets? It's pretty common, but I can't remember the name! Having so many breaks lying around can sometimes be a bitch. :laugh:

ah yes this one, I do have it in good condition .wav But i couldn't give you in inch of ID info :sad:

I robbed it from a med/octamed module, the Fatcontroller Living in Darkness tune.

the snares are really klangy I thought it might be like a 2nd/unknown part to the Funk Inc, Kool is Back break but i doubt it very much.