Bootleg releases

haste

by the way i just noticed

http://www.rolldabeats.com/release/tom_and_jerry/pk011

has the "bootleg" on it

is this 100% sure?

it looks like an official release and the catalogue number is 011, but i can't find any previous releases to this catalogue number in the database and it has tom & jerry as the label but i wonder how comes if it's a bootleg? :wacko:

Yeah, I think you're right. The label has had a fair amount of other releases in different music genres from what a friend tells me so I think the tracks have just been licensed from Reinforced and not bootlegged

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A college mate was just listening to this in class: http://www.rolldabeats.com/release/breakbeat_kaos/bbk001gld

He says it's a bootleg and, apparently, there was a big thread on DOA telling people not to buy it because it wasn't actually authorized by them for release. Don't read DOA much so I can't confirm that and I can't find the thread. Anyone know the deal with this? The CD looks pretty professional to me. :huh:

A college mate was just listening to this in class: http://www.rolldabeats.com/release/breakbeat_kaos/bbk001gld

He says it's a bootleg and, apparently, there was a big thread on DOA telling people not to buy it because it wasn't actually authorized by them for release. Don't read DOA much so I can't confirm that and I can't find the thread. Anyone know the deal with this? The CD looks pretty professional to me. :huh:

I think the fuss on DOA was because Pendulum themselves didn't know it was being released on Breakbeat Kaos. It was an officially sanctioned release.

On the bootleg topic there needs to be something to differentiate between 1) A bootleg that's simply an illegal pressing of a classic track that's no longer available AND 2) An unofficial, unlicenced remix of a track (see the numerous Rnb Dnb remixes. Perhaps seperate these two so they're not all listed under Bootleg.

You missed the Junglesound Gold doa thread? Ahh, you missed a defining moment of history (I still have the "I witnessed the greatness of the junglesound gold thread" in my doa sig ;).

Basically, the album is a rehash of the original Jungle Sound album, with a few new tracks on and bits 'n bobs... Including the VIP of Masochist, which Pendulum were apparently annoyed at Fresh with because he went ahead and sent the album to master using a 320 MP3 of Masochist VIP (plus he didn't tell them). As label owner he's perfectly entitled to do that, I suppose it's just etiquette but anyways push comes to shove and Pendulum are there making a fuss, blah blah, Fresh is just keeping quiet about the whole thing and in the end he comes off looking none the worse for it (and the Pendulum boys come over as whinging, annoying and immature... Oops).

It was hilarious watching the saga unfold, and then DOA's now-resident cartoonist chipped in with a "Meanwhile, in the BBK offices..." cartoon strip which had everyone in stitches. It was a great few days.

So yeah, basically Masochist VIP on that album was mastered from a 320 MP3. Could you tell without knowing? Nah, me neither. And, as we all know, Vault was mastered - to vinyl - from a 320 MP3 too, so there we go (as I think it was Rob Pendulum said on DOA during the Junglesound gold thread, "do you really think the track was supposed to have two minutes of looped pads on the end?", so I think Fresh and Adam F just didn't wait for them to send along a final final version, or maybe they were taking too long, whatever).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I hate this whole Bootleg thing it ruins the enjoyment off been a dj and a collector in my opinion, we dont want them in here get them out off here.

I have a couple of bootlegs in my collection, one I bought off eBay and didn't realise it was a bootleg (shoulda realised tho) and another one was actually purchased from htfr ;o cheeky cunts, but I still wanted the track so meh.

Until I can get my mitts on an original pressing, they'll have to do - but I don't think they really spoil the experience for anyone, so long as the bootlegs aren't widespread and basically sold in every record shop I think their effect on sales or profits or enjoyability is absolutely negligible. Everyone knows there's almost no money in D&B anyway, only a select few make anything approaching decent cash.

Plus, without bootlegs, I can think of a fair few quite enjoyable tracks which would've otherwise never seen the light of day... And if you're cataloguing the sum total of a scene's output in terms of releases, it makes sense (to me at least) to catalogue everything possible, including unofficial bootlegs - how else would you know if the vinyl you have in your hand IS a legit original pressing or a cheeky bootleg?

I think a bigger problem is re-presses from the labels. Especially Shadow did some represses that looked the same as the originals. My original Lords Of The Null Lines (SHADOW30R2) re-press came in a white 10" sleeve, even though I bought it in 1993 in the Tower. So it basically looked exactly the same as the re-press from a few years ago!

With a bootleg you usually know it's a bootleg (got tracks from different releases on a single 12? Probably a bootleg...), but these re-presses... there's nothing to tell them apart!

Also, you need to distinguish between bootlegs made up of classic tunes and those containing unofficial remixes.

Everyone knows there's almost no money in D&B anyway, only a select few make anything approaching decent cash.

I think that holds for the whole music industry. When TLC went bankrupt it gave a nice view of the industry... An artist doesn't make money on album sales, but on the money they make from concerts and merchandise.

I guess the same goes for DnB: most income you get from playing out. With the declining sales, 12s are mainly used to create a name and get yourself booked...

I hate this whole Bootleg thing it ruins the enjoyment off been a dj and a collector in my opinion, we dont want them in here get them out off here.

So wouldn't it be great to have a quick way of finding out whether something is or isn't a bootleg?

• 1 month later...

http://www.rolldabeats.com/release/london_records/cybx2

I'm pretty sure that this was made by someone who sampled Dillinja's breaks and made a bootleg 12" and used a catalogue number that tied in with the Cybotron releases (I heard an mp3 of it a while back and it sounds like a rip off of Dillinja rather than Dillinja himself)

This should be listed as a bootleg IMO

http://www.rolldabeats.com/release/london_records/cybx2

I'm pretty sure that this was made by someone who sampled Dillinja's breaks and made a bootleg 12" and used a catalogue number that tied in with the Cybotron releases (I heard an mp3 of it a while back and it sounds like a rip off of Dillinja rather than Dillinja himself)

This should be listed as a bootleg IMO

Wow.. that is lame... can anyone confirm this?

• 3 weeks later...

Someone needs to clean up the 'white label' entry

There's a number of clearly bootleg releases listed there

Is there going to be a seperate 'label' for unoffical r'n'b remixes and the like? What could we call it? Maybe one 'label' could be called 'Unauthorised Pressings' and 'Bootleg' could be kept for all those unofficial remixes.

?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I made the Unofficial Remixes thread

http://www.rolldabeats.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=47186

as suggested, in which I've listed the 'white label' releases I think should be added to a different 'white label' listing - the 'Unofficial Remixes' label discussed. Can this one be made a 'sticky'? - as I am sure there are many more unoffical remixes to come

Those ^^^ listed above appear to be all bootleg represses, also to be moved to a different 'white label' listing 'Unoffical Represses' as discussed. Any listed with question marks are ones that I am not certain

• 1 month later...