Break IDs

Phokus

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Isn't that just the Think break with random other bits on top? Or are you referring to the Coolin break? If so, if you listen closely it's not cleanly sampleable on that clip you posted (bongos in the background).

From what I can tell, the Coolin break is just the Think break with altered silent snares . . . might be wrong though.

Isn't that just the Think break with random other bits on top? Or are you referring to the Coolin break? If so, if you listen closely it's not cleanly sampleable on that clip you posted (bongos in the background).

From what I can tell, the Coolin break is just the Think break with altered silent snares . . . might be wrong though.

Coolin Break? I'm not sure I know what that sounds like - would need to hear a clip.

I will try to clarify my previous post. Listen to this clip. I took one bar from the clip I posted in my previous post, pitched it up 3 semitones and looped it to make 4 bars. Have a listen. Following that is a short clip of the intro of "Heavenly Body" by Rus De Tox (DJ Dextrous) which uses the same break. I have heard this break in loads of old school tunes since about 1993 onwards and always wondered where it originally came from, then I heard the intro to "Luv Ta Luv Ya" which is from 1992 and, to my ears, it seems a lot of producers probably stole it from there... but I might also be wrong??? Anyone?

My mistake, it's not the Coolin' break. Not heard that break before, best to ask Phokus who knows just about everything there is to know about 'em!

wtf is the coolin' break? audio please!

I'll take a listen to the clip posted when I get a chance later today...

Right, the basis of the break is definitely Think. Not sure what the shaker over the top is from, though. Guess people probably sourced it from the Skeleton Crew track, although whether that's the original source of it or not, I don't know.

I will try to clarify my previous post. Listen to this clip. I took one bar from the clip I posted in my previous post, pitched it up 3 semitones and looped it to make 4 bars. Have a listen. Following that is a short clip of the intro of "Heavenly Body" by Rus De Tox (DJ Dextrous) which uses the same break. I have heard this break in loads of old school tunes since about 1993 onwards and always wondered where it originally came from, then I heard the intro to "Luv Ta Luv Ya" which is from 1992 and, to my ears, it seems a lot of producers probably stole it from there... but I might also be wrong??? Anyone?

Stenny,

I have often wondered about that beat too! But it seems you maybe right about its original source! (I can't believe I have not listened properly to the original of 'Luv To Luv You' before as I have it right here)

Clearly the clip matches the 'Heavenly Body' tune exactly, need to check on the 'Night Moves' track

Stenny,

I have often wondered about that beat too! But it seems you maybe right about its original source! (I can't believe I have not listened properly to the original of 'Luv To Luv You' before as I have it right here)

Clearly the clip matches the 'Heavenly Body' tune exactly, need to check on the 'Night Moves' track

Yeah it's definitely the same break used in Night Moves too. It's got to be originally from the skeleton crew track due to the way it builds up in layers over the think break during the intro. Is it worth adding this break to the main breaks section?

Yeah it's definitely the same break used in Night Moves too. It's got to be originally from the skeleton crew track due to the way it builds up in layers over the think break during the intro. Is it worth adding this break to the main breaks section?

Yes, if you're sure, then by all means post!!!

add your name to the hall of fame!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry, I'm new to this so I may fuck it up a little buttt I need this break:

Artist: Vertigo

Track name: Migrane

Original release: 1999

Label: Droppin' Science

Cat number: DS26

Year: 2000

Drummer:

http://www.rolldabeats.com/release/droppin_science/ds26