MyRDB in beta

thijs

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just thought of a way you could add loads fairly quickly maybe, if there was an add button next to every release if you say went to a label or artist on the search then you could add loads instead of having to do them individually.

that is of course if it is at all possible to be done that way as making or running a website is no doubt a complete nightmare and I haven't a clue myself (I feel sorry for the one who has to do all the corrections).

I'm keen to get my collection on here, as I think there will be more to learn about the artists, labels and D&B history than on Discogs. I also like the sound of the stats that could be produced.

One major let down of Discogs is that if I want to order any of my collection I have to do it via Excel in a cube, or other reporting tool. It would be really good to have that kind of functionality direct on the website. Otherwise I am presented with a massive list of records to scroll through. It also makes seeing what records other people have a very time consuming task.

I would like to be able to view my collection grouped by Label, Artist or Year, and then sorted AZ or equivalent.

So for example, MyRDB would show a list of all the labels that I have records in, then I could double click on one and drill down into a particular label to show more. Then click on a particular release to bring up the usual detail.

If grouped by Label, could there be drop-downs alongside the label name field showing the usual "related labels" drop-downs and "url links"? If grouped by Artist, then a list of related labels and aliases? If grouped by Year, then a list of all labels and artists releasing in that year?

If that doesn't make sense, I don't mind drawing up a spec to better explain.

Pretty sure this has been said, but the ability to search your own and, more imporatntly, other people's collections would be really handy.

:D

:nosey:

I saw that you'd mentionned sorting, but don't think you said about grouping. I think we're on the same wavelength though!

:)

I don't believe it... a record collector being called nosey?! Never!! :lol:

Just had another couple of ideas (I don't think anyone else has mentionned them).

As well as saying whether a record is in someone's collection, or wantlist - could you show a record as having once been in your possession? There's loads of records that I had and traded for one reason or another, but the only way I have of knowing that I once had it is by memory. I think it would be interesting to know which records people used to have and parted with, you can read into the reasons for getting rid of records how you like (e.g. it was rubbish, or worth enough money to make someone want to part with it). It will also show up which records are changing hands the most, and which records people hold onto.

Also, it would be good to indicate whether you own the promo or w/l copy of a particular record. [EDIT] Just noticed that Haste added this point on page 2.

if you did lists on what you've owned or swapped that could be as big as your existing collection, well it would be in my case but was thinking maybe next to any of the tunes in what you have you could have say a number next to it - of copys you have in your collection of that record as that might solve what you have avalable as trade .

if you did lists on what you've owned or swapped that could be as big as your existing collection, well it would be in my case but was thinking maybe next to any of the tunes in what you have you could have say a number next to it - of copys you have in your collection of that record as that might solve what you have avalable as trade .

Having 2 copies of record X is different to saying that you used to have 1 copy of record Y.

Example: If you had 200 people saying that they used to have record Y, and only a few people currently owning it - I think you would see that people bought it, decided they didn't like it and got rid of it. Or something like that.

Sorry I dont get this...

I seen "this is not in your collection" at the side of the database results

but how do I add stuff to my collection?

when I go to my collection I just get

no results show ... please use the forum to add a release that is missing?

:huh:

Okay, I've had another idea

How about "My Trades"?

It can be a subset of My Collection (i.e. you flag items in My Collection to be added to My Trades).

Having something like My Trades could allow us to create a feature that could compare a person's My Trades with other users' trades/wants pages. If we simply compared My Wants with people's collections, there would be problems with people being hassled to sell tunes they want to keep.

What you guys reckon?

Hi there, just registered for this function.

Just one question (maybe answered already): Are ther plans for a export function? I mean to HTML, XML, TXT or even better OpenDocument Format (for OOo.org or other apps). And an import function for that too, that would (temporarliy) eliminate the fear of losing all entries already made! (As long as you are not a lazy *unt! :P )

I think an import fuction will be difficult... You can only do it with actual database record ID's. Otherwise the catalogue would have to be identical and since they are sometimes different from what people think that's not really a good option (different numbers for promo's and picture discs and just records with different catalogue numbers on the sleeve and in the runout groove or just the number of zeroes used).

Okay, I've had another idea

How about "My Trades"?

It can be a subset of My Collection (i.e. you flag items in My Collection to be added to My Trades).

Having something like My Trades could allow us to create a feature that could compare a person's My Trades with other users' trades/wants pages. If we simply compared My Wants with people's collections, there would be problems with people being hassled to sell tunes they want to keep.

What you guys reckon?

That's a great idea! :wub:

I think an import fuction will be difficult... You can only do it with actual database record ID's. Otherwise the catalogue would have to be identical and since they are sometimes different from what people think that's not really a good option (different numbers for promo's and picture discs and just records with different catalogue numbers on the sleeve and in the runout groove or just the number of zeroes used).

difficult does not neccessarily mean impossible .. i've been doing a few :ph34r: ninja tricks :ph34r: indexing my own mp3s and trying to link stuff up against tarzan in the past..

if you were able to, say - paste a bunch of catalog numbers into a text area and have a fuzzy search done against that list, it would be possible to atleast by some sort of easy preview interface add those that match and or refine and adjust/normalize the catno searches...

i'll see how bored i get.. gonna try to finish off the xmlrpc/xml/json query interface first :D

but at any rate: an .xls export would definitely be handy in case you want to have a local list for your own offline abuse/print/whatever.. but first on my wishlist would be a set of checkboxes next to each search result with a "add selected" button below..

A few more ideas...mainly coming from the design that I have been working on and will show you lot soon...

- Contribute links: Quick links bring up lists of releases in your collection that have no label scans, release years etc.

- as menitoned by spoox - export option in .xls for both wants and my collection

- choice of how many releases shown per page (50/100/250/200?)

- possibilty to add a note to each record in your collection/wants list - short descriptive field?

Here's a long shot for an idea:

Whenever i make a mix it always takes ages to type out the tracklist and i invariably end up losing it when i come back to listen to the mix months or years later on my PC. How about you can construct mix tracklistings by selecting tracks in your collection. So i record a mix onto my pc, then go to my rdb collection and construct the tracklisting by selecting those tracks. Then save it off either to your computer as a list and/or to rdb under a section called My Mixes with a name for that mix. So many people who will be using the service who record online mixes, i can't fail to see how this would be useful.

But as i said a real random long shot :lol:

- Contribute links: Quick links bring up lists of releases in your collection that have no label scans, release years etc.

That's a great idea. Would definitely help with site contributions.

Here's a long shot for an idea:

Whenever i make a mix it always takes ages to type out the tracklist and i invariably end up losing it when i come back to listen to the mix months or years later on my PC. How about you can construct mix tracklistings by selecting tracks in your collection. So i record a mix onto my pc, then go to my rdb collection and construct the tracklisting by selecting those tracks. Then save it off either to your computer as a list and/or to rdb under a section called My Mixes with a name for that mix. So many people who will be using the service who record online mixes, i can't fail to see how this would be useful.

Yes Cob, nice one. I like that idea.

Would be especially nice if there were an optional field for each track you add to the Tracklisting allowing you to enter the timestamp of the track (in other words, the time it occurs in the mix -- i.e. [11:28]).

What if you could hit a button and it would randomly generate a tracklist for you that you'd have to go try to mix up :lol: ;)

below this are 'add' and 'remove' buttons...

use 'em

;)

it werent there before i posted this

honest

i'm not that blooming stupid!

or blind B-)

difficult does not neccessarily mean impossible .. i've been doing a few :ph34r: ninja tricks :ph34r: indexing my own mp3s and trying to link stuff up against tarzan in the past..

if you were able to, say - paste a bunch of catalog numbers into a text area and have a fuzzy search done against that list, it would be possible to atleast by some sort of easy preview interface add those that match and or refine and adjust/normalize the catno searches...

i'll see how bored i get.. gonna try to finish off the xmlrpc/xml/json query interface first :D

but at any rate: an .xls export would definitely be handy in case you want to have a local list for your own offline abuse/print/whatever.. but first on my wishlist would be a set of checkboxes next to each search result with a "add selected" button below..

to be honest

this talk of cat numbers having to be identical

i have entered cat numbers from run out grooves many times into rdb search and theyre wrong in the database .. not as they appear on the vinyl

some have 001

some are 1

etc

always end up having to type different combinations of possible entries til the database returns a hit

:blush: :ph34r:

to be honest

this talk of cat numbers having to be identical

i have entered cat numbers from run out grooves many times into rdb search and theyre wrong in the database .. not as they appear on the vinyl

some have 001

some are 1

etc

always end up having to type different combinations of possible entries til the database returns a hit

:blush: :ph34r:

If they're wrong then post the correct cat nos here. We're trying to get all cat nos in the db to be exactly the same as what is in the runout groove of the vinyl